During the summer months, moms know how incredibly bored the kids get with the same old boring snacks. Sure, granola bars are yummy, but they get boring on their own after a while. Strawberries and blueberries are fantastic, but its hard to get kids to really enjoy them for more than a few days at a time. We moms need to kick things into high gear in terms of creative snacking, while maintaining a healthy balance in our children’s diet.
That’s why this morning, I was in the kitchen getting creative when I noticed the leftover cake we had in the fridge that I baked with my youngest son on the 4th of July. I also saw some fat-free vanilla yogurt and fruit in the fridge. I knew just the thing to cure my son’s yearning for something sweet, while keeping the sugar to a limited amount – all while putting a huge smile on his face. This one is definitely kid approved.
Behold, my simple, delicious, easy summertime parfait – courtesy of my creativity and wit in the kitchen (*horn tooting loudly*):
Here’s what you need to make one of your own. This will make two servings, and you can modify it however you like:
- Fat free or low fat french vanilla yogurt – about eight heaping tablespoons divided into two bowls
- 1 chocolate chip granola bar, crumbled
- Strawberries and blueberries – chop the strawberries into small pieces, rinse both berries well.
- Leftover cake that you don’t know what else to do with – mine was vanilla flavor with a very small bit of buttercream frosting – I used about a 2 inch section of cake per bowl.
Here’s what you need to do to make your parfaits:
1. Put about 4 heaping TBSP of yogurt into two bowls.
2. Top the yogurt with half of the crumbled granola bar, dividing equally between the two bowls.
3. Top with about a 2 inch section of crumbled cake pieces per bowl.
4. Add about 1/4 cup of fresh berries to the top of the mixture.
5. DIG IN!
My son was in love with this, and I absolutely adore it too. Its perfect for a summertime snack when you don’t want the kids to overload on sugar, and want to keep things simple and healthy (for the most part).
This is great on a hot summer day. I didn’t try this trick, but if you put it into the freezer in the bowl already prepared, I’m quite sure it would make an amazing frosty treat after a long afternoon of playing outside or coming home from the beach.
What do you think? Once you try it, I’d love to hear your thoughts in a comment!